UGC NET Eligibility Criteria
University Grant Commission (UGC) is formed by the Indian government to maintain the quality of education. Its headquarter is in Delhi & has 6 branches in Pune, Kolkata, Hyderabad, Bhopal, Guwahati & Bangalore. National Eligibility Test (NET) is conducted by UGC for those who are interested in Lectureship (LS) & for award for Junior Research Fellowship (JRF).
NET is conducted twice every year. This year also it is in June. You can get the full information about the UGC NET June 2010 through this article.
UGC NET Eligibility Criteria / Educational Qualification : The candidate must have to fill the following criteria to be eligible to give the test –
- The candidate should have the Master’s degree or equivalent from a UGC recognized university with minimum of 55% aggregate marks (50% for SC / St / PH/ VH). The Master’s degree can be either in Humanities, Social Science, Computer science, Electronic Science etc.
- Those who are going to appear for the final exams & whose result is awaited or the qualifying exams have been delayed ,are eligible to apply for NET.
- Those who have Ph.D. degree & whose Master’s degree had been completed by 1991 are eligible for relaxation of 5% in aggregate marks in qualifying exam.
- Candidates have to appear in the subject of their Post-graduation only. In case the post –graduation subject is not covered in the list then the related subject has to be opted.
- Those who are eligible for concession in the fee have to submit the attested copy of their OBC/ SC/ ST / PH / VH certificate along with the application form.
UCG NET Age Limitation :
- For Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) – The applicant must not be more than 28 yrs on 1st June. There is relaxation of 5yrs. for SC / ST / PH / VH / Female candidates. 3yrs. relaxation is also given to those who are perusing LLM.
- For Lectureship (LS) – The candidate should be at least 19 yrs old as on 1st June. There is no upper age limit to this.