GATE Exam Pattern
The Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering ( GATE ) is conducted for admission in various PG programs in Engineering / Technology / Architecture / Science / Pharmacy streams. This streams are offered by no. of universities & institutions. GATE is conducted by IITs & IISc, Bangalore together on the behalf of the National Coordinating Board – GATE, Ministry of Human Resources Development.
GATE Exam Pattern : The GATE exam consists of 60 questions of 100 marks. The total time allotted is 3hrs. All the questions are are multiple choice questions i.e objective types. The candidate has to mark the correct choice on a OMR sheet. Various papers are available. A candidate has to select any one out of the following subjects. The subjects with their code are given below -
- AE – Aerospace Engineering
- AR – Architecture & Planning
- CH – Chemical Engineering
- CY – Chemistry
- EE – Electrical Engineering
- AG – Agricultural Engineering
- CE – Civil Engineering
- CS – Computer Science & Information Technology
- EC – Electronics & Communication Engineering
- IN – Instrumentation Engineering
- ME – Mechanical Engineering
- MT – Metallurgical Engineering
- PI – Production & Industrial Engineering
- TF – Textile Engineering & Fiber Science
- MA – Mathematics
- MN – Mining Engineering
- PH – Physics
- PY – Pharmaceutical Sciences
- GG – Geology & Geophysics. This subject contains 2 parts. Part A will be common to both Geology & Geophysics candidates. Part B contains 2 sections. Section I is for Geology candidates & Section II is for Geophysics Candidates.
In all this subjects, question 1 – 20 carries 1 mark each & for every wrong answer 1/3 marks will be deducted.
Questions 21-50 carries 2 marks each & 2/3 marks will be deducted for each incorrect attempt.
Questions 51 –56 are common data question & carries 2 marks each.
Questions 57 & 58, 59 & 60 are linked questions & carries 2 marks each. There is 2/3 marks deduction for wrong attempt for only question no. 57 & 59. Rest two don’t have any negative marking.
- XE – Engineering Sciences. In this candidate has to answer 3 sections. Section A is compulsory for all i.e Engineering Mathematics. Out of sections B – G, candidates have to choose two sections. The sections are B- Fluid Mechanics, C – Material Science, D – Solid Mechanics, E- Thermodynamics, F – Polymer science & Engineering, G – Food Technology.
- XL – Life Sciences. In this also, candidate has to answer 3 sections. Section H is compulsory for all i.e Chemistry. The other sections are I – Biochemistry, J – Biotechnology, K – Botany, L – Microbiology, M – Zoology.
- GATE 2011 Answer Key
- GATE Engineering Sciences Papers
- GATE Electronics And Communication Papers
- GATE Instrumentation Question Papers
- GATE Pharmacy Question Papers
- IAS Exam Pattern
- GATE Electrical Question Papers
- NALSAR Exam Pattern
- GATE Computer Science Question Papers
- Syndicate Bank PO Exam Pattern
- ATMA Exam Pattern
- GATE Mechanical Question Papers
- GATE Eligibility Criteria
- NIMCET Exam Pattern
- SSC Junior Engineering JE Exam Pattern