About TNPSC and the Syllabus of TNPSC AE Exam Serving the public requires immense knowledge, sharper skills and dedication. Individuals with all these attributes with and a sense of duty towards their state choose Public Service as a career path. Working in the Public Service Commission is no easy task. Commission’s employees are responsible for
About TNPSC and the Syllabus of TNPSC AE Exam
Serving the public requires immense knowledge, sharper skills and dedication. Individuals with all these attributes with and a sense of duty towards their state choose Public Service as a career path. Working in the Public Service Commission is no easy task. Commission’s employees are responsible for the welfare of all the citizens of a district. They bridge the gap between the government and it’s citizen. So, if you are ready to take on all those responsibilities? Because a spider’s uncle once said that with great power comes great responsibility.
What is Tamil Nadu Public Service Commission?
During the British Raj in India, the Madras Service Commission was formed to examine the salary structure of Indian Civil Service and handle some provincial duties. The commission was headed by Viscount Lee as chairman with 5 Englishmen and 4 Indians. The commission was established in 1929under the Madras Legislature act. After the country gained Independence, the states were reorganized and the name was changed to Madras Public Service Commission (MPSC). In 1970, the Madras Province changed its name to Tamil Nadu and the MPSC changed to Tamil Nadu Public Service Commission (TNPSC).
What does TNPSC Do?
தமிழ்நாடு பொது சேவை கமிஷன். TNPSC is duty bound to perform all the tasks mentioned in the Article 320 of the Indian Constitution. TNPSC also advises the government on framing rules for hiring individuals, Promotions, and appointments. They also conduct exams for recruitment to State, Subordinate, and Ministerial services. We have listed out the duties of TNPSC.
- To conduct examinations for appointment to State/ Subordinate services.
- Advising the Government on matters relating to the recruitments to the Civil Services in the state
- Advising on the principles to be followed in making appointments to civil services and posts.
- Guiding the Government while making promotions and transfers from one service to another.
- Checking the suitability of the candidates for promotions and transfers and disciplinary matters
TNPSC Assistant Engineer
The TNPSC will be hiring Assistant Engineers for a various department in the State Government. The exams will be held in the month of May 2018. There will be two papers, Paper 1 will deal with 200 questions on the respective discipline in Engineering Degree. Candidates will be given 3 hours of time to answer 200 questions for 300 marks. However, the Paper 2 consists of 200 questions on General Studies, Aptitude and Mental Ability. Since there will be 200 questions, 2 hours of time will be given for the candidates. For Paper 1 candidates must have knowledge in one of the following Engineering disciplines.
- Automobile Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Mechanical/ Production/ Manufacturing Engineering
- Agriculture Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Textile Engineering
To study for the paper 2 topics, candidates must prepare on the following topics. Some of which have been listed out to help individuals who have applied or in the process of applying for the TNPSC AE Recruitment.
Aptitude and Mental Ability
- Decision Making
- Time & Work
- Ratio & Proportion
- Analytica; Interpretation of Data
- Tables, Graphs, Diagrams
- Conversion of Information to Data
- Complication and Presentation of Data
- Parametric representation of Data
- HCF & LCM
- Simple and Compound Interest
- Logical Reasoning
- Problem Solving
History & Culture of India
- The Economy of India
- Indian Polity
- Indian National Movement
- Political Science
- Natural Calamities
- Weather and Climate
- Earth and Universe
- Water Resources
However, candidates can check the following books on General Aptitude and Reasoning. These books will help students with shortcuts and tips to solve aptitude and reasoning questions. Candidates can take mock tests from our website and prepare for the TNPSC Syllabus.
- RD Sharma’s Objective Mathematics
- Reasoning & Aptitude by Nem Singh
- Quantitative Aptitude for competitive Exams by Abhijit Guha
- A modern approach to Verbal & Non-Verbal Reasoning by R S Aggarwal
- Analytical Reasoning by M K Pandey
- Quicker Maths by M Tyra
- Quantitative aptitude by R.S Agarwal
- How To Prepare For Quantitative Aptitude For The CAT by Arun Sharma
- Quantitative Aptitude For Competitive Examinations by Abhijit Guha
- ETS Maths Review
- Barron’s Guide
- Kaplan GRE Math Workbook
Using these resources, applicants can get the best preparation to take on the Assistant Engineer Exam in TNPSC. However, subject knowledge in the related discipline is more important. So, go back to your textbooks and prepare well in advance.