Career as a Customs Officer
A Customs Officer is a one who checks the entry of any illegal imports and exports of goods. Since, all
imports were subjected to an import duty aiming to protect the indigenous industries as well as to minimize the imports to secure stable exchange rate for Indian currency. Customs Officer are transferred from one to another depending on their requirements.
Job Prospects in Customs : There are two categories where they fit into.
- First one is hose who check the incoming and outgoing people, ships, cargos etc.
- Second one are those who work under Assistant Commissioner.
Customs Officer recruitment : Those who want to go in this job, has to pass the UPSC. Through UPSC, they are posted as senior superintendents, Officers of customs and central excise services.
Other job Opportunities : There are also certain other placement where there is direct selection. These are-
- Constables : For this, a candidate must be at least 7th pass and should satisfy certain physical standards. They should have the height of minimum 157.5 cms with chest 81 cms. There is a test where the candidate has to walk 1600 meters in 15 minutes and cycle 8kms in 30 minutes. Often there is promotion of Sweeper, chowkidars and peons to Constables. Constables are promoted to Head constable or Hawaldar.
- Preventive Officers / Inspectors : There is test by SSC. Those who clears this are called for a interview. 25 % of the posts available, are allotted to Tax assistants and stenographer after promotion. Eligibility for this, is Graduation minimum. They should have the height of minimum 157.5 cms with chest 81 cms. There is a test where the candidate has to walk 1600 meters in 15 minutes and cycle 8kms in 30 minutes.
- Clerical Cadres : Minimum education qualification required for Clerks is 10th pass. Also, they should be well versed with the shorthand and typist.